This position has presently been filled. See also other open positions.
Compiler Integration Engineer (Scheme to Webassembly)
Full Time Salary.100% remote position (see special hours requirement). USA resident only. Reports to CTO.
Become a part of Internet history! Spritely Networked Communities Institute is a fully remote non-profit dedicated to re-decentralizing community on the Internet and is hiring a Compiler Integration Engineer who will help advance Spritely's technology to be usable on the web by direct compiling Guile Scheme to Webassembly.
Technical leadership for this project will be provided by compiler architect Andy Wingo, of Igalia.
The first phase (first six months) will involve getting the minimum viable set of scheme tooling to compile natively to Webassembly (ie, not using external tools like emscripten). The external compiler architect will be providing specific subtasks for the Compiler Inegration Engineer to complete (such as builing webassembly-native implementations of core Scheme types, writing tests, etc). By the end of this phase, generated code should be able to be able to pass the full set of r7rs-small benchmarks.
The second phase (second six months) will involve getting Spritely Goblins to successfully run on top of the Webassembly compiler target.
- Preparing Guile for first class usability on the web by working with the external compiler architect to compile scheme code directly to Webassembly
- Implementation of core Scheme primitive types and operations directly in Webassembly
- Coordinating between the CTO and the external compiler architect to ensure plans are being executed as expected
- Ensuring Goblins works on top of the WASM cross-compilation target
- Participation in or coordination with Webassembly standardization groups on up-and-coming Webassembly extensions used, as appropriate
- 2+ yrs experience with Scheme or other Lisp-derived languages (experience with Guile Scheme is a particular plus)
- 1+ yrs experience with low-level programming (most preferably Webassembly, but other experience working with low-level assembly languages or virtual machine bytecode are welcome)
- Experience working with open source technical communities
- Working knowledge of compiler technology
The following are not required, but candidates with experience are especially encouraged to apply:
- Experience working with Goblins
- Experience working with Guix or NixOS
- Experience using Emacs or willingness to learn
- Experience with cross-compilation techniques
- Full time, fully remote, United States only
- Must have flexible hours to coordinate with external compiler architect located in France
- Must have and maintain computer and internet access (see benefits)
Salary and Benefits
- Salary: $80k-$100k based on experience and location
- Health: ICHRA up to $2,000k/month reimbursement
- Equipment: $40/month internet, $1,000 BYOD stipend
If you meet most of the requirements above, we want to hear from you!
Applications can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a resume or CV, cover letter, short Scheme/assembly code samples and/or links to published work online, such as articles, free software contributions, or conference presentation videos. All materials must be in a file format that can be easily viewed with free software, such as a PDF or Open Document Format.
We hope to hear from you!
Spritely Networked Communities Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
Job Posted: Feb 3rd, 2023